Buying toys that’ll encourage kids to be more active while improving their coordination and driving skills is a worthwhile investment. For this reason, it isn’t surprising why a lot of parents choose to purchase battery-operated cars for their little ones to enjoy and learn from.
However, looking for the best power wheels for 8-year-olds and below should be a thorough task. As a parent myself, I want my kids to have a great time, but their safety is always my top priority. Big or small, the toys I buy for them need to meet a specific set of standards.
I understand that most parents feel the same! So I’ve compiled a few of the most-purchased ride-on cars for 8-year-olds that you may want to go through before deciding which to buy. Also, I’m very keen on durability and driving efficiency, so I hope this helps you make a good choice.
Top Picks Power Wheel for 8 Year Olds
1. Power Wheels Dune Racer
As soon as we got this assembled, I thought, it’s the ride I have always wanted as a little girl. Good thing my daughter loved it as much! I was also glad that my husband and I decided to assemble this power wheels dune racer a day ahead of Christmas eve because it takes quite a while to put together.
It has enough legroom, so my daughter could drive it smoothly, with a friend of hers in the other seat. I think it can also be purchased as power wheels for 9-year-olds because of its size. Plus, she’s able to steer the car easily because the seats are designed well, in a way that the driver can sit back and down more securely.
Another thing I was concerned about in getting powered ride-on toys for 8-year-olds is the battery life. If you’re purchasing this unit, you need to make sure it’s charged long enough before first use. The manufacturer claims its battery life is 40 minutes straight use, but my daughter rides it for more than an hour non-stop until it needs recharging!
- Has high and low-speed features
- The steel frame is sturdy, and it has metal sidebars for hand support
- High-speed settings can be locked out for parent control
- Can accommodate two kids on the seats
- Monster traction makes it efficient on any surface
- Comes with a storage unit under the hood
- Seats are well-designed for secure sitting
- Takes quite a while to assemble
2. BAHOM Kids Ride On Car
My son had always wanted an electric car, so for his birthday, I scrolled through the list of riding cars for 8-year-olds. I wasn’t thinking of purchasing one that can be remote-controlled, but when I came across this BAHOM ride-on car, I realized I could hit two birds with one stone and let my 3-year-old enjoy it as well!
Long story short, we decided to go for this power wheels unit, and it did not disappoint. My kids couldn’t be happier to drive it in the park, especially since it has built-in LED lights, car horns, and speakers! If you’d like to play even more cool songs or beats, you can also turn on the Bluetooth feature and play anything from your phone.
I loved it the first time we tried it because of the parental remote control feature. If my kids get too far or I want to drive my toddler on his own, I can control the car within a distance of 30 yards with ease. It also comes with a comfortable seat and a safety belt, so I’m confident it has them guarded.
- Efficient 8-year-old cars to drive with four-wheel shock absorber
- Comes with speakers that work with built-in MP3, USB, and Bluetooth
- The parental remote control works for about 30 yards
- Has front LED lights, realistic car horn, and security system for the kids
- Features a two-seater design so your children can share the fun
- Loud engine-like sounds
3. Uenjoy Electric 4-Wheeler Quad Ride
I have wanted to buy my son 24V power wheels to roam around the yard and lessen his screen time. Of course, I would like the one that he can use for a longer time, so I ordered this Uenjoy quad ride which I think he would love.
After arrival, I’m glad we were able to assemble it quickly because my boy was super eager to use it! It works as expected. The brakes are good, and he was able to shift speeds efficiently. We tried it first on the grass and did well, then had him drive on the concrete, and the wheels grip okay too.
At first, I thought he wasn’t able to maneuver it, but he did after a few tries, thanks to its efficient forward and backward commands.
I must note that it makes quite a noise because of its realistic car engine sound feature. If that bothers you, then the built-in music will work wonders to change the vibe. You can also use the USB port and Bluetooth.
By the way, my son is 6, and the legroom is just enough so he can make left and right twists. He loved its LED lights and car horn feature because it adds to the real car feel.
- Acceleration is good, and the forward/backward/left/right turns work well
- This electric car for 8-year-olds has impressive battery life.
- Wheels are sturdy and wear-resisting
- The seat is designed well for comfort
- Built-in music feature is super cool, especially the USB port and Bluetooth modes
- Comes with awesome LED headlights
- A bit loud car engine sound
4. Costzon Ride-On Truck
I’d always imagined how happy my son would be if we bought him one of those electric ride-on toys for 8-year-olds, especially if it’s a truck! Good thing I was able to find a good buy with the Costzon powered car.
What I love about this model is its parental remote control mode. The truck drives perfectly well using the remote, which impresses me the most. But, my son can still navigate it pleasantly, especially after he tried it a few times thanks to the convenient steering wheel. He can control the foot pedal to stop the car whenever he wants, too.
Of course, we also want him to have the closest experience to a real car. And this truck was just a dream come true for the little guy! It features LED lights (headlights, brake lights, and even a light bar), keys to start, side mirrors, and an mp3 player.
Plus, it was roomy enough for a great driving experience. My little one can sit safely and comfortably in the ergonomic seat with a safety belt. However, as it only comes with one chair, this ride-on cannot be shared among his friends.
I can tell that the truck parts are made of durable plastic, and its design creates a wow factor for anyone. It was also super easy to assemble; it took us just 30 minutes to put together. The assembly video provided to us was super helpful. Battery life runs for 40 minutes non-stop indeed!
- Has a parental remote that lets you navigate the car
- Convenient steering wheel and foot pedal for the kids to ride
- Features real car details: LEDs, side mirrors, start keys, music player, …
- Has comfortable and safe seat design with a belt
- Assembly is easy because it comes with a manual and tutorial video
- Battery life lasts for about an hour
- Only has a single seat
5. Fitnessclub 12V Kids Ride On Cars
There’s a special place in my girl’s heart for cars, bikes, trucks, and other vehicles. While she can not yet drive the real thing, we decided to get her one of those power wheels for 10-year-olds and below. So, I chose a cool pink and black truck for her birthday that happened to be this Fitnessclub 12v Kids Ride-On.
My number one consideration is her safety. So I am glad that it features durable plastics and a safe and comfortable seat design that kids will love.
This ride-on also has two front LED lights and car speakers that let my daughter play her favorite music through its USB port.
My girl likes to drive it fast! Her truck has low and high speeds in manual mode, while in the remote control mode, it has 3-speed settings that parents can take advantage of. I can also see that she’s not having a hard time driving the truck because it comes with an efficient steering wheel and foot pedal.
This ride-ons for 8-year-olds’ battery life is good, and it’s super helpful that you can see through a small indicator screen how much power it still has. I can see that it also has wear-resistant wheels to run smoothly on the pavement.
- 2-speed settings for manual and 3-speed settings for remote control mode
- The truck features LED lights and a music player
- Its seat design and safety belt secures kids while driving
- The truck’s steering wheel and pedal work efficiently
- Long battery life with indicator screen
- Durable plastic and wear-resistant wheels
- Start-up sound is a bit loud
6. Peg Perego Polaris RZR 900 Ride On
I have two boys, 7 and 4, and I was looking to buy one of those ride-on toys for 7-year-olds and below that they can share. Long story short, I decided to go for this Peg Perego Polaris RZR ride-on for them.
First, if you want to buy the same unit, I want to note that it protects your kids through the seat belt and gear shift feature with a top-speed lockout. If they are still learning how to drive, you can make sure they don’t go too fast. It features two-speed settings: 2 ½ mph and five mph, plus the reverse.
Second, it’s been an excellent purchase for us because of its size. My kids can sit side-by-side and drive comfortably. The bucket seats even adjust to fit them while they are still growing.
When it comes to traction, it works best on hard surfaces, and the wheels look sturdy. You can let your kids drive on grass without worrying about the wheels trapping too much dirt.
Of course, what the kids love about its ATV design that resembles a Polaris ranger! The off-road windshield, decorative KC lights, roll bar, and back storage give them a realistic and fun driving experience.
- Protective seat belt and gear shift feature with a top-speed lockout
- Roomy enough for growing kids at different ages
- Features realistic Polaris details: off-road windshield, decorative KC lights, roll bar & back storage
- Speed settings are versatile and reliable for both young and older kids
- Drives well on pavement and dirt with sturdy wheels
- The battery might not last up to an hour, depending on the passengers’ weight
7. Best Choice Products Kids Ride On Truck
I chose this Best Choice Products Kids’ Ride-On Truck for its functionality. I want my son to get the best out of the toy to develop his motor skill.
Good thing this cool truck went beyond my expectations! First, it looks sturdy, and its plastic is so durable that my kid can enjoy hours and hours of riding every day. Plus, it poses no health risk since the material is non-toxic, so you should not be worried when buying this one for your small kids at eight years old or up.
Its traction wheels are just the right size and design to work well on dirt, grass, and concrete. My son loves that it also has LED lights and a radio/music player for your little ones to have a practical driving experience.
Furthermore, the seatbelts and safety doors of this truck are well-installed. And since it comes with remote control, you can guide them yourself to make sure they’re safe. It has a real spring suspension, so your kids are safe in bumps. Other details are equally functional and working well, like the steering wheel, horn buttons, and foot pedal.
They can also drive manually using the truck’s three different speeds, wherein the maximum is 3.7 mph. The remote also has similar controls, including forward and reverse commands.
- Has three-speed settings, low, medium, and high
- With commands like left, right, backward, forward
- Real car details: horn, seat belt, safety door, radio, and music player
- Comes in durable and non-toxic material for the body and wheels
- Traction and suspension are safe enough for kids aged 8 and up
- Takes some time to assemble the whole car
8. Uenjoy 2-Seater Large Kids Electric Ride-On Car
My nephew has been riding around the yard since my sister got him his Uenjoy 2-Seater Ride-On Car. This design indeed comes in two different parcels, which in our case didn’t arrive on the same day. No problem, though, just don’t let the kids know one of the boxes already arrived!
Assembling the truck took us quite a while, but we’re thankful that you can get clear instructions from the video that comes with it. I must note that you should save long screws for last for a smooth assembly.
Of course, the kid loves all the real car details, such as the openable door, LED lights, electric power steering wheel, mp3 player (thru USB, Bluetooth, or jack), and driving pedals.
Meanwhile, we love it because you can control it with a remote since my nephew is just three. He still has a lot of room to grow in. Yet, this one is the best for kids around age 7 to 9 to control the vehicle easily. The forward, reverse, and left and right turnings suffice the kids’ play.
Furthermore, this one is safe for 8-year-old children because it has an adjustable seatbelt and sturdy 4-wheel suspension.
- Reliable left, and right turns, as well as the forward and reverse
- Fantastic truck details (LED lights, music player, pedal, steering wheel, seatbelt, truck door)
- Good size for eight-year-old kids with adjustable seat belt and suspension
- Easy assembly because the video is super helpful
- A portable handle when the car ran out of battery charge
- Quite loud start-up rev sound
9. Costzon Ride-on ATV 4-Wheeler Quad Car
I know how much adults love to drive ATVs, so when I scrolled through this Costzon Ride-on ATV for kids, I couldn’t help but choose for my kid this power wheels for ages 8 and up.
So let me begin by telling you how easy it is to operate. My daughter hasn’t driven any rides similar to this one, but she didn’t have a hard time navigating the quad.
Similarly, you kids only need to turn on the switch, choose whether they want the low or high-speed mode and forward or reverse, then press the foot pedal, and voila, the car is moving.
Plus, I am confident of my kid’s safety because the quad is made of durable plastic. When starting to press the pedal, it takes speed gradually, so my daughter isn’t startled or anything. The seat design is pretty comfortable, too, and she sits down securely in it.
Good thing the ATV also comes with great details that added to her excitement, like the front lights, mp3 player with stories and music. Besides, the power display lets you know whether it needs to get recharged soon.
- Sturdy ATV design, and durable construction
- Super easy to drive for kids aged 8 and up
- The forward and reverse buttons work well
- Cool features like car lights, engine sound, and mp3 player
- Convenient power display to remind charging
- Starts slowly and offers secucre seat for kids’ safety
- Bluetooth function can be difficult to connect
10. Kid Motorz Lil Patrol Blue and White
Kids love to play roles, and my son is particularly fond of being a police officer. So for that, I got him this Kid Motorz Lil Patrol ride-on. Luckily, he has a great time roaming around the house with his mini police patrol.
I love that it’s easy to navigate because my son can drive it like a pro around the house. Its forward and backward gears work efficiently at 1.2 mph – a safe speed for kids around age 8.
And since it’s a motorcycle design, he can do his left and right turns with ease. This ride-on comes in the perfect height for my son, and it’s a bit lightweight, so he’s able to lift it himself when getting stuck in the corners.
This mini police patrol impressed me because its run time goes up to more than an hour before you will need to recharge its battery pack.
Furthermore, we have tried it on the driveway, and the wheels grip well, though it may have a harder time on slopes.
You must be concerned about your child’s safety, but worry not as this ride-on is super sturdy, and it’s just the right speed for small kids. Its seat is also well designed so that the rider won’t fall easily. My son hasn’t tripped even once!
- Cool police patrol details like the stickers, headlight, and light-up siren
- The foot pedal lets kids drive forward and backward
- Allows left and right turns smoothly
- Perfect height, design, and speed (1.2 mph ) for kids’ safety
- Runs non-stop for more than an hour recharging
- Sturdy wheels and overall construction
- Does not run well on slopes
What to Look for When Buying Power Wheels for 8-Year-Olds
In a nutshell, I can say that the top consideration in getting your kids power wheels should be functionality. Make sure to check out the speed settings, driving gears, parental remote control option, and other functional details like the car lights, music, and storage before purchasing.
Don’t forget to consider battery life as well. It’s an essential aspect to look at because kids, as you know, want to play non-stop and for a more extended time. It may also help consider getting a backup battery unit, especially if you’re planning on using the ride-on when going to the park or simply outdoors.
When wanting to purchase the best ride-on car for 10-year-olds and below, you also need to consider the item’s safety features. To make sure no one’s harmed in any way, buy a power wheel with a seatbelt, safe seat design, slow-start function, high-speed lockout, and safety doors as much as possible.
Parental remote control mode is a common feature too, so if you think your kids still need to be guided in driving an electric car, you might as well go for this feature.
All-in-all, it’s essential to choose the best power wheels for 8 year old kids that they can enjoy and use for a long time. The kids will love an electric ride in any way, but it’s our task to make sure their toys are safe and fun enough for them.
- Ride-on vehicle with realistic quad styling and awesome graphics
- Drives 3 and 6 mph (4.8 and 9.6 km/h) max. forward; 3 mph (4.8 km/h) max. reverse
- Drives on hard surfaces and wet grass
- Parent-controlled, high-speed lockout & Power-Lock brakes
- For kids ages 3-7 years, max. weight 65 lbs (29.5 kg)
- Two Modes Design: 1. Parental remote control mode: When your babies are too young to drive the car by themselves, you can control the ride on car...
- Real Driving Experience: This licensed Mercedes-Benz S63 car is equipped with multi-media center, shifter for forward and reverse, horn buttons on the...
- Various Attractive Features: Designed with MP3 interface, USB port and TF card slot, it allows you to connect portable devices to play music or...
- Security Assurance: This ride on car features a slow start function, which can avoid the risk of sudden acceleration. And 4 wear-resistant wheels with...
- Perfect Gift for Kids: With stylish look and cool coupe shape, this Mercedes-Benz S63 ride on car is a perfect gift for kids aged 3-8 years old (...
- Pink battery-powered, ride-on ATV with Barbie graphics
- Drives 3 and 6 mph (4.8 and 9.6 km/h) max. forward; 3 mph (4.8 km/h) max. reverse
- Vehicle drives on hard surfaces, grass and other rough terrain
- Parent-controlled, high-speed lock out and Power-Lock brakes
- For preschool kids ages 3-7 years, max. weight 65 lb (29.5 kg)
- 🚗【Powerful Motors】The off-road UTV equipped with 12V 35W motors and traction tires. A charger and rechargeable battery are included. this kids...
- 🚗【Multimedia Function Panel】Equipped with Music mode, kids can also play their favorite music through connect device by USB port, MP3 player,...
- 🚗【Two Driving Modes】Mode 1: Children can use steering wheel and pedal to operate the truck flexibly, having autonomy of driving by themselves....
- 🚗【Security Assurance】1.This ride on truck is driven by Four wear-resistant wheels which are made of superior PP materials with no possibility...
- 🚗【Ideal Gift for Kids】The electric vehicle is certified by ASTM F963 CPSIA. It is a perfect gift for kids at Birthday, Thanksgiving Day,...
- FOR KIDS 37 MONTHS & OLDER: This small yet powerful ride-on is perfect for your little racers who want to start driving like the grownups do!
- POWERFUL 12V & REALISTIC DESIGN: Adjustable seatbelt, bright LED headlights, lockable doors, and grid windshield for off-road style, with a 12V motor...
- MANUAL AND PARENT CONTROL: Let your child drive manually or use the remote control to safely guide them yourself; remote has forward/reverse controls
- SAFE & DURABLE: Includes plastic wheels that will never deflate, plus a spring suspension system and safe, 2.8mph max speed for smooth rides on...
- CONNECT YOUR MUSIC: A built-in AUX outlet allows kids to plug in media devices to drive while jamming to their own selection of music; OVERALL...
- 🚙Higher Protection w/Slow Start Function: The ride on ATV adopts advanced slow start technology that is intended to protect your kids during their...
- 🚙High/Low Driving Speeds & Directions: Super easy operation frees your kids from tiring learning. After all, what your little ones need to do is...
- 🚙Cheering Music & Story for Infinite Fun: The battery operated electric ATV of rechargeable design gives your kids the ability to drive for long...
- 🚙Wear-Resistant Wheels for All-Terrain Drive: Equipped with wear-resistant wheels, the kids 4 wheeler allows your little ones to ride on nearly all...
- 🚙Ideal Toy to Accompany Your Children: So cool this battery powered quad ATV it is that your kids are sure to love it. Send it to your boys or...
- Little construction workers in training will love this authentically-styled CAT ATV, Sits one rider between 3 and 5 years old, with a maxium weight...
- Working LED headlights will light up the driveway, Realistic horn and engine sounds take playtime to the next level
- Real foot pedal acceleration creates a lifelike driving experience
- Goes in forward and reverse at 2.5 MPH for maneuvering through tight spaces
- Comes with a 6-volt rechargeable battery and wall charger so the fun never has to stop
- REALISTIC DRIVING ACTION: Give your kids a realistic behind-the-wheel experience with controls sized for small hands and a powerful 12V battery that...
- PARENTAL REMOTE CONTROL: Join in the fun and take your child on a wild ride with full control over the truck's driving features
- INTERACTIVE FUNCTIONS: Fully functioning wheels with spring suspension pairs with working LED headlights for a realistic multi-terrain experience
- CHILD-FRIENDLY DESIGN: Includes plastic wheels, seat belts with locking doors, and a 3.7mph max speed for smooth cruising around the house
- BLUETOOTH SPEAKERS: Connect your kid's favorite devices to the built-in Bluetooth speakers and add a musical element to playtime; OVERALL DIMENSIONS:...
- 2-PERSON SEATING: Officially-licensed Land Rover ride-on has double seating that allows your child to comfortably cruise in the vehicle and bring a...
- MANUAL AND REMOTE CONTROL: Let your child drive manually or use the 2.4GHz remote control to guide them when necessary; the remote has forward/reverse...
- SMOOTH DRIVING: 2-wheel suspension and treaded tires create a smooth ride, and your child can cruise at either a low speed of 1.8mph or a max speed of...
- AUX PLAYER AND EXTRA FEATURES: Kids can jam out to their favorite music by plugging in a device to the AUX input. Also, working LED headlights, a...
- BUILT SMART AND TOUGH: Durably crafted with PP plastic and a tough metal frame to withstand years of use, plus space under the hood for storage and a...
- Hit the road with a friend on board with this Dodge Viper SRT 12V Battery-Powered Ride-On Toy from Kid Trax.
- Capable of both forward and reverse speeds of 2.5 to 5 MPH and equipped with an electronic horn, LED lights, and an FM radio with MP3 input, this...
- Features such as Kid Trax Power Trax rubber traction strip tires for all-terrain performance make this toy adventurous, yet safe.
- A 12V rechargeable battery with Kid Trax direct connect one-step charging system guarantees that fun is never more than an outlet away.
- This ride-on toy ships ready to be assembled, has a two-rider, 130-pound maximum weight capacity, is recommended for ages three to seven years and has...