The advances in technology brought about several changes, even in kids’ toys, where they become virtual teachers. Here we are speaking of ride-on toys, which were once humble structures with wheels. But the scenario has changed, and hundreds of incorporations have been introduced into the toys.
Especially when parents have less time to spend with their kids, these toys play the role of their teachers and entertainers. And when you have time, a beautiful and fascinating toy can be a great teaching material.
Therefore, the best ride-on toys for 2-year-old can be defined as fully loaded activity-based toys. The list of top-rated products and useful information will offer you valuable insights into buying the correct ride-on for your toddler.
Top Picks Ride On Toy for 2 Year Olds
1. Radio Flyer Scoot About Sport
I love toddler rides because they are fun toys that keep them engaged for a long time. I find the scoot toys very helpful in developing their motor skills at a tender age of 1-3 years.
As the priority for the ride on toys for toddlers is safety, you can trust this product as it comes with a wide placement of tires for security and extra stability. This design does not trip easily when the child tries to push the ride in a forward direction. Also, its body is designed ergonomically for keeping the baby’s feet safe while maneuvering.
I also like the width of the kick path that allows free movement without any obstacles. Furthermore, this toy has working steering, which gives the toddler an exciting driving experience.
Only a few riding toys for 2 year olds contain a provision for storing things. I am glad this ride has ample storage space under the seat where my little one can keep his favorite toys and enjoy the ride with them. Above all, I love how smoothly it glides in the house or on the playground.
2. Mega Bloks Cat Ride-On Toy
I am impressed by the ride-on by Mega Bloks is a 3-in-1 toy that works like a truck, excavator, and a walker. That is enough for a fun game among small kids who love building things.
In my opinion, it is one of the most attractive ride on trucks for 2 year old with multiple functionalities. Furthermore, its sturdy design ensures safety and stability.
Remarkably, the steering of this truck looks realistic, making our small kids excited to ride it. In addition to that, the buttons on the steering make different noises to capture the toddler’s attention. It also helps them to develop hearing skills and motor skills.
Above all, the ten building blocks that accompany this truck are of most interest to the kids as they are excited to play with the giant-sized blocks. These blocks are also handy for scooping with the excavator.
I am glad that I gave this truck to my 2-year-old nephew, who loves playing with his blocks. With this car, he loves excavating his blocks and storing and then building them.
3. POCO DIVO Ride-On Toy
The three-in-one action toy by Poco Divo is my kids’ favorite ride-on illustrating the twins who live nearby. The twin brother and sister ride their blue and yellow excavators all day, mining the little garden rocks. My kids love to watch them dig the piled-up snow using their diggers.
When you see them in action, you will agree this is the best ride on for 2 year old. There is a button on the steering to make the lights flash and play music. Hence, it can offer a fun ride for your little ones. Furthermore, the anti-skid tires installed will add safety to this interesting toy.
I find the conversion to cart as an excellent addition to this toy since it did not need much modification but just a ring and a rope. And finally, the scooter mode is possible by merely detaching the arm.
Additionally, the arm’s movement uses the metal pole and handle provided above the steering. It is unique because it maneuvers the digger’s arm up and down, helping the toddlers learn the hand-eye coordination in a fun manner.
4. Radio Flyer Busy Buggy
I am excited to introduce you to this colorful, busy buggy, packed with lots of moving parts and interactive activities that grabs your toddler’s attention. Without any doubt, it offers endless entertainment along with unlocking the imagination and creativity corners of the brain.
This sensory play toy was my gift for my sister’s younger kid, but even her 4-year-old finds it attractive. She loves to play with this toy. I am happy seeing her explore it by sliding the beads, moving the mirror, clicking the spare tire, and turning the interlocking gears. Also, the large knobs and buttons are handy for little hands for a good grasp.
Notably, it serves as a push walker and helps the kids develop confidence in walking as they learn to balance themselves through practice. Notably, its anti-tip back design is dependable for beginner walkers and will safely follow through into their further adventures. That is why the toy can be an ideal ride on toys for 1 year old.
As per my observation, kids always love to carry around their favorite toys at least one of them. Therefore, the storage space under the seat is handy for that cute habit. Moreover, it is easy to open and close so that they can do it on their own.
5. XJD Kids Tricycles
This tricycle comes with two modes of tires, which I find interesting as it adapts to the needs of your toddlers learning. This model is one of the apt pedal toys for 2 year-olds to learn cycling, as the three wheels can switch to two wheels.
You can assemble it quickly and easily. Most importantly, it adapts to your child’s height, as you can adjust the seat and handlebars accordingly. That means the tricycle grows along with your child for extended usage.
I wondered if the cycle’s frame is sturdy enough to last long. But when I checked the frame’s sturdiness, I was sure that it would last for at least two kids easily. Remarkably, its frame and all the other parts like wheels, handle grips, and the seat are made of high-quality material.
Besides, the wheels are fully enclosed and do not squeak or rattle like other tricycles on the market. Another advantage is the baby’s feet do not get clamped as there is no gap in the wheel. I suggest you purchase this tricycle if you want your kid to develop coordination early.
6. Kid Motorz 6V Ride-On Toy
This model from Kid Motoz is one of my favorite ride on toys for 3-5 year olds as it seems like a real vehicle to kids due to its battery-powered action.
I do not have to be worried much since this electrically powered vehicle has a limited speed for safety. More importantly, it stands on a sturdy 4-wheel structure that does not allow the bike to flip.
Another safety measure I like about the bike is the battery is child-safe, and they cannot touch or remove it by themselves.
My kids can quickly learn how to ride this motor using the button on the pedal. This bike has a broad seat that does not tire the toddler while riding. Moreover, the footrests to keep the foot while it runs on the battery are at the right height.
I love the fact that this bike comes with a rechargeable battery and a charger. My child can play with it for nearly an hour without interruption. I simply put it on charge once it discharges, and within a few hours, it is again ready for action.
7. Radio Flyer Little Red Roadster
The metal ride-on toy is suitable for a toddler of 1-3 years. It is a fantastic riding car for 2 year old toddler as it helps develop fine motor skills. While the child pushes the toy, she can steer and honk, having fun while learning at the same time.
I find this toy strong built due to its metal body. Also, its four wheels are sturdy enough to handle a significant weight.
I can’t say enough how much I like the tires of this toy. They are full, wide, steady, and safe. Most importantly, they do not make a sound, making the toys usable both indoors and outdoors. Otherwise, I cannot tolerate indoor use if they are to make rumbling noise.
Though the design seems simple enough, it does have the perks of little sound, which does not escape a child’s notice. The large horn button is placed on the steering, red, and easy to locate by the kids. They ride all over and honk for your attention now and then steal your attention.
The most exciting feature about this toy is that your child can steer it from side to side. Your child can sit comfortably and safely as the seat of the ride-on is designed ergonomically.
8. Little Tikes The Bus Scoot & Push
The baby bum modeled interactive bus is sure to grab the attention of your kid. It is both engaging and entertaining as it has several activities to help your toddler gain fine motor skills and balance. Best of all, its design is kid-friendly yet presents some challenges to improve their coordination skill.
For your information, the interactive features include an ignition switch, a horn for honking, and a signal light that turns on when your kid uses it.
I like the versatility of the in-built handle this interactive toy has to offer. Your toddler can use it as a push toy also along with the ride-on. Though it cannot surpass the features of battery powered ride on toys for 2 year olds, it does offer an interesting enough learning toy.
It is the most sought-after ride on toys for 2 year old boy as it plays musical songs of the baby bum and Little Tikes. Such a cute song keeps my little ones excited for the whole ride.
This bus seems to come to life when its eyes start moving, and the windshield wiper eyebrows wriggle when the bus is in action. I also appreciate the ample storage space provided under the seat. It is large enough to fit in the number of toys comfortably.
9. Lil’ Rider 3 Wheel Motorcycle
Lil’ Rider does a fantastic job designing this 3-wheeler motorcycle for children to play and learn.
My children find it simple to ride on due to its easy gliding action once they press the button on the pedal. This model is indeed among ride on toys for 3-5 year olds that you can find.
They perform well on smooth surfaces present both indoors and outdoors. Your child will learn every action of riding a bike using this toy. Also, the body of the bike is durable to last long.
I am truly impressed with the reversibility function with car sound effects, a high-end design found only in a few motorcycles. With this function, the little rider toy seems realistic to an original motorbike. Additionally, the headlights that turn on and off makes it more similar to a proper bike.
Besides, this ride-on has a small storage compartment behind the seat. Your kids can put their favorite teddy bears or small car toys in there while riding around. The stunning labels and the gorgeous color of this bike are sure to capture the attention of your toddler.
Parents always want to find motorized toys for 2 year olds made from safe materials for their children. Luckily, this product can ensure such safety. In addition to that, you can wash the motorcycle for easy cleaning.
10. VTech Sit-to-Stand Alphabet Train
This design VTech Sit-to-Stand Ultimate Alphabet Train is a special alphabet train toy for kids.
Interestingly, this push-toy is designed to adapt to your toddler as he grows. For instance, it works as a floor toy, a baby walker, or a pull wagon.
Not only does it offer versatility, but it also comes with additional resources for learning. The learning toy comes in ten activities: a storybook, gears, clock, and several other interests invoking set-ups that supersede other power riding toys for 2 years old. In detail, its 13 double-sided alphabet blocks will introduce your child to alphabets, numbers, and colors.
Additionally, it contains a walkie-talkie number with a large number pad on the engine to facilitate role play. These numbers also play hundreds of songs, phrases, melodies, and sounds when you press the numbers. It helps your child to learn songs using its sing-along mode.
Apart from these highly interactive activities, it also has a counting activity that counts the alphabet blocks dropping through the chute. The multi-functional toy has new surprises every day and offers excellent learning opportunities where your kids find it fun.
11. TOMY John Deere Pedal Tractor
The TOMY John Deere Pedal Tractor And Wagon is a built-to-last toy that withstands years of tumble play.
In detail, its wheels have a broad base that ensures the safety of your child. I must admit the quality and strength it has is noteworthy even though it is built out of plastic. Such a design can comfortably ride on smooth surfaces and slightly rough terrains also.
Apart from that, the toy comes with an easily detachable wagon. I often find my kids loading their soft toys and giving them a ride. They are also enthusiastic about helping around the garden by carrying little things around. Also, the large space of the wagon allows them to load much stuff in a go.
Most parents prefer this pedaling tractor rather than the ride on car for 2 year old as it offers more learning experience. If that is the case for you, this model is a perfect pick as it resembles the traditional colors of the John Deere and gives a glimpse of the farm atmosphere whenever you see it around. It helps your kids to know and connect with the farm-related things early on. Finally, the pedals are wide enough to offer you safe riding experience.
12. iPlay, iLearn Riding Hopper Horse
The hopper bull from iPlay, iLearn is an inflatable toy that you can inflate in 5 minutes using the double action hand pump. It is covered in the soft and plush covering of cloth to reduce the friction between the toy and your kids’ skin when they bounce on it.
The durable toy material helps it to last long. And you can rest assured that no harm posed to your little ones as it is made of safe components. Also, the softcover is gentle on the skin.
Also, the cloth cover is removable for cleaning as it comes with a zipper. You can simply remove it and hand wash it or use the washing machine as per your convenience. Further, this helps you keep the toy tidy and hygienic.
Using this toy does not involve any complicated learning, unlike other toys that require some form of understanding. Just let them grab the horns, seat them comfortably, and ask them to jump. Watch them burst into laughter each time they jump and enjoy their happiness.
This toy increases the muscle-strength as it gives good exercise to your kid. It develops coordination between eyes, hands, and legs. If used in group play, they develop social interaction skills.
What to Look for When Buying a Ride On Toy for 2 Year Olds
Ride-on toys are not only fun toys but also learning toys. These toys help your child develop in various aspects like fine motor skills, balancing, walking, and similar skills depending on the toys’ provisions.
Let me guide you through what these toys have to offer in-detail to help you purchase the toys aptly depending on your child’s needs and your aspirations.
First and foremost, the wheels of the toy should not run on the feet of your toddlers. Generally, this is the main criterion of safety for ride-on toys before anything. It might seem a fundamental issue, but this is not taken care of by many toy manufacturers, and you end up with a toy that keeps on hurting your child’s feet.
Check that the wheels should not have gaps in them, and they are placed inwards or wide enough to allow enough gap for your child’s foot to maneuver through. These toys sometimes feature pushcarts where the wheels’ gliding and the stability of the cart are essential.
A broad cart with some weight to balance your baby’s weight while they take support would be proper to own. If they are of lightweight, there is a danger of tripping over and falling, which may sometimes result in serious injury. Also, remember, you must always supervise your toddlers while they play.
When it comes to the material, you need to check two aspects. Its strength and its composition.
The strength of the material depends on the quality of the make. The same material says plastic can be of different grades. Confirming with the manufacturer about the quality of the material is the right thing to do. Also, going through the reviews would provide you some insights.
The composition here mainly focuses on harmful materials. The kid’s skin is sensitive and responds aggressively to toxic chemicals. Hence to avoid any rashes or reactions, make sure the materials used are free of skin harming chemicals. Also, kids tend to chew on their toys, so they must also be non-toxic.
3. Age, Height, Weight
The manufacturer mentions a general measure of age and weight. However, you need to compare your child’s age, height, and weight and analyze the ideal age range of toys, especially for the ride-on toys, as physical dimensions paly a crucial role in using the toy properly.
If you are not through with the measurements, then there is a chance of your kid not fitting into the seat. If they are taller than their age average, then they might have trouble accommodating the legs. Finally, if they are petite, they may not be able to reach the pedals.
4. Ergonomic Design
The seat of the ride must be comfortable enough for them to ride on as they spend a lot of time on the vehicle. If the seating position is uncomfortable, they try to avoid the toy altogether. Also, you do not want your toddler to have such an experience. Hence, an ergonomically designed seating and foot placement are features worth your consideration.
These toys come with few extra features which help in starting the educational foundation for your kids. If your focus is on the early introduction of education, then choose these toys. Else you want them to go excavating, then buy them a digger.
This section purely depends on your choice of what you want to offer your child. Just make sure the toy is not overwhelming and falling apart. If it is too complicated, your child may not show any interest. So keeping this couple of points in mind, go for it.
The main annoying feature of these toys for elders is the loud sounds they make. If you are okay with the sounds, then you may not bother with this section. But if you are sensitive to sounds, you don’t want to buy them a nice toy to restrict them from using it.
Either opt for toys with control over volume or go for the silent toys where you have no such issues. Or a middle ground is to purchase toys with only honking sounds or limited few countable sounds rather than hundreds of songs and music bits loaded toy.
This way, you have control, say things can’t get worse than that, and your child can enjoy a little hoot now and then.
Check where you will use them and how. If you plan to use them only indoors, choosing toys designed to glide well on smooth surfaces is good. If you are going to use them in a garden or a rocky surface, then selecting a rough and tough wheels toy capable of dealing with little dirt is correct.
Smaller kids are good with front and back movement, but once they master that move, it’s time to upgrade to a steering ride-on, which offers them the challenge to move in all directions and gain control. So, this improves their eye and hand coordination process.
Many kids love Ride-on with storage facilities as they offer some space to store their particular toys. These storage spaces also help them to manage and understand the skill of keeping things safe. It gives them a sense of responsibility and learns to gather things.
It lays the foundation for organizational skills to arrange their toys to fit in properly and keep them in order.
10. Battery Operated
Ride-on toys come in many varieties where the main classification can be of 3 types: non-battery operated, partially battery-operated, and complete battery operated. Non-battery operations are maintenance-free but have lesser features. So, balance with what you think is essential.
Partially battery operated are just a step above the non-battery-operated toys but have some interactivity that adds more interest. And entirely battery operated have most interactive options to enable full-fledged entertainment. However, exercise benefits decrease as entertainment increases.
For example, if you think exercise is essential and have other toys for educational purposes, go for non-battery. If you want a ride-on as an educational toy and are planning something else for physical fitness, then go for battery operated with educational benefit.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is It Normal For A 2 Year Old To Line Up Toys?
Yes, it is normal for a 2-year-old to line up the toys. This is the best time to load your kids with toys. As until the age of 1 year or 18 months, they are busy learning their surroundings and gaining balance to walk independently. And once they are up on their feet, they are ready for the next level of learning.
They are like a sponge and absorb every possible information quickly and easily. Therefore, stimulating the little brain is good exercise.
2. What Can A 2 Year Old Ride?
A 2-year-old can ride several ride-on toys of both battery-powered and manual types. The toddler can ride a car, truck, jeep, digger, tricycle: Walker, puller trolley, tractor, and many such ride-on toys.
They can steer, push the button to move it, push a cart with force, pull a trolly with the help of yarn, pedal a tricycle, or maneuver a toy with just their legs.
3. At What Age Can You Start With A Ride-On Toy For Your Child?
Your child is ready to ride the ride-on toys from 18 months onwards. However, you can start with a basic pushcart with reasonable wheel control and stability by 12 months to prepare ride-on toys. They are capable of riding on toys only after they start walking steadily.
These toys require the skill of alternating their feet by pushing the toy, which is still not well understood by the toddlers who cannot walk well yet. Another alternative is battery operated toys, which you can start early but with strict supervision as they do not know how to ride the toy.
The tricycle or peddling toys require an even better understanding, so those toys are for kids over 2 years. Similarly, the complicated battery-operated toys you want the kids to operate by themselves are better handled by kids at 3 and up.
When you search for the ride-on toys, you will find that the products we listed here are best in functionality, price, and quality. Hopefully, after reading the comprehensive guide on ride-on toys, you can decide to purchase the best ride on toys for 2 year old.
I know you cannot entirely fit in all the requirements in one toy. Generally, this is where you must be careful to invest in two or more toys. This investment will prove worthy when you find your child having fun and learning a lot with those.
- CAT Toddler Quad ride-on toy is great for outdoor adventures in the driveway, backyard, or sidewalk. Fits one rider, ages 18 – 30 months
- Authentic yellow and black CAT styling for construction fun
- Working headlights and included toy helmet add to the playtime fun
- Goes forward at 1.5 MPH. Foot pedal acceleration provides a lifelike driving experience
- Includes 6-volt rechargeable battery and charger so the fun never has to stop for long
- RECOMMENDED AGES:Suits 2-4 years old kids，Weighing in at 5.7lb,Height floor to seat could be adjusted between 11.8-14.2”.Pedal or pedalless with...
- SAFE DESIGN:This Kids Tricycles is fresh newly designed with Unique U-Shape carbon steel body has damping function and it works with the EVA widen...
- STURDY AND COMFORTABLE & EASY TO ASSEMBLE:Trikes for toddler has safety carbon steel frame, durable widen silent wheels, strong enough for riding...
- SAFE to PLAY WITH:Sturdy structure and Durable materials, passed ASTM FM963-17 & CPSIA test of American standard. Non-toxic finished. 135°steering...
- KIDS GO GROW WITH HAPPINESS:Babies are eagerly willing to stand up, to walk and to run. Staying with them, help them to when they fail; Encourage them...
- FOR KIDS 37 MONTHS & OLDER: This small yet powerful ride-on is perfect for your little racers who want to start driving like the grownups do!
- POWERFUL 12V & REALISTIC DESIGN: Adjustable seatbelt, bright LED headlights, lockable doors, and grid windshield for off-road style, with a 12V motor...
- MANUAL AND PARENT CONTROL: Let your child drive manually or use the remote control to safely guide them yourself; remote has forward/reverse controls
- SAFE & DURABLE: Includes plastic wheels that will never deflate, plus a spring suspension system and safe, 2.8mph max speed for smooth rides on...
- CONNECT YOUR MUSIC: A built-in AUX outlet allows kids to plug in media devices to drive while jamming to their own selection of music; OVERALL...
- Direct connect charging system with 12V charger
- Kid Trax Power Trax Rubber Traction Strip Tires
- Innovative zero turn radius steering with working dump bucket
- Forward and reverse speeds
- Comes with hard hat and boulders
- [360 DEGREE SPIN] Bumper car with 360-degree spin for more smiles and greater riding fun. Ideal for toddlers and kids aged 1.5-6 years with a maximum...
- [2 DRIVING MODES] Your little one can drive this ride on toy independently. For ages 1.5-3 years, it’s recommended to use the remote control so...
- [TOP SAFETY FEATURES] Sturdy plastic shell construction ensures long-lasting durability. This ASTM-certified ride on car is equipped with a safety...
- [PREMIUM PERFORMANCE] Includes a rechargeable 6V battery that lets your kids enjoy 1-2 hours of riding fun. Battery charging time is about 5 hours,...
- [FUN FILLED RIDE] Colorful LED lights enhance the fun quotient. Little ones will love customizing their favorite ride on car with the included DIY...
- Ride, Bump, Race, & Spin: The most advanced and toddler-friendly bumper ride-on car yet! Engineered for maximum performance, fun, ease of use, and...
- Safety First: The safety of your precious little one is our top priority. The first ride-on bumper car with a 5-point harness. Includes anti-flat...
- Amazing Features: Rechargeable (charging cable included), full 360° spin, 2-speed settings (0.75-1.25 mph), remote control, optional remote-only...
- Great Gift for that Little Child: It's the perfect birthday or holiday gift or any other occasion. They will play endlessly and have a blast!
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed: Love it, or your money back! We're sure that the child will have a blast, but if you are not satisfied with this...
- This Paw Patrol Chase cruiser ride-on helps your child safe guard The day on adventure bay
- Use handle bars to activate sounds and tune with the push of a button
- Ladder push bar to help your child push while upright
- Contains under seat storage for your child's convenience
- Perfect for children 1 - 3 years old
- FIRETRUCK RIDE ON CAR – The wiggle car with firetruck style decals offers effortless operation with no gears, batteries, or pedals for a smooth,...
- DEVELOPS MOTOR SKILLS – In addition to the thrill of driving this ride on toy car, your child will be able to develop and refine gross motor skills...
- USE IT ANYWHERE – All you need is a smooth, flat surface. Wiggle in your car for hours of outdoor and indoor play on level surfaces like linoleum,...
- SAFE AND DURABLE – All Lil’ Rider kids ride on toys are safety tested, free of banned phthalates, and provide healthy exercise and plenty of fun!...
- PRODUCT DETAILS – Materials: Plastic. Dimensions: (L) 30” x (W) 13.5” x (H) 16”. For Children 3 years and Up. To be used under the direct...
- Mickey moves side by side to the music.
- Mickey Mouse March Song, delightful music, & radio frequency sounds
- Shifting gears & revving sound
- Realistic landing & lift off sound Propellers rotate to amazing light up patterns
- Low battery power may affect toy function, including irregular lights or sound, and the toy may not turn on or off. Should this occur, simply take...
- 【Multiple functions】Real working headlights, horn, movable rear view mirror, MP3 input and plays, high / low speed switch, with doors that can...
- 【Comfortable and safety】Large sitting space for your child, and added with safety belt and comfortable seat and backrest.
- 【2 MODES for PLAY】① Parent control mode: You could control the car for turning and forward and backward. ②Kids self-control: kids can control...
- 【Long hours playing】 After the car is fully charged, your child could play it about 60 minutes(influence by modes and surface). Make sure to...
- 【Great GIFT】This rational design car is a perfect gift for your child or grandchild for Birthday and Christmas gift as parents or grandparents....